Saturday, April 28, 2012

Back to Baking


I knew it was time to take a vacation when I no longer felt inspired to bake. So, after a relaxing week in the Southwest, I’m excited to get back into baking!
Several years ago I told a chef, John Bentley, that I was having a hard time finding the perfect carrot cake recipe. I wanted something simple, not too sweet, and sans raisins or coconut. He immediately grabbed a piece of scratch paper and wrote down the following cake and frosting recipes and, if you’ve ever been to his restaurant, it’s no surprise this cake is delicious. 

Carrot Cake
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 1/8 cup flour
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 lb. peeled, grated carrots
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Whip eggs, add oil slowly, add sugar and salt. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking powder and soda, add slowly. Fold in carrots and walnuts. Pour into buttered and floured 9” cake pan (I line my pan with parchment paper prior to buttering/flouring pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 50-55 minutes; let cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
(Enough for a single layer 9-inch cake)
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
Use electric mixer to beat all the ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth and creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment